Monday, December 12

Second rule

The second most important rule in order for one to complete a phd programme is this: DO NOT PANIC and DO NOT, whatever you do, LOOSE YOUR SELF ESTEEM. No, you are not an idiot because they think that you should take a "foundation in computer systems" course, a course which will most probably contain all the silly and useless things that you found out about in your first 5 years in college!! You are not a moron because you think that you will not be able to cope with all the coursework (3 graduate courses in the first semester, 4 in the second, 3 in the third, complete with one qualifier exam and one thesis proposal, with a special offer - on the house - a graduate research paper). Because you will cope. I'm sure of that. Hell, if other people did it, why can't you?! I mean ... there must have been at least a small grain of insanity when you signed up in the first place, so use that, stop complaining, forget about your life, your photographing plans, your climbing trips or whatever used to get you ticking ... and ... my friend ... STUDY!!! RESEARCH!!! And NEVER EVER think about the uselessness of the phd degree itself. Now go and get drunk. :)

2 comments:

Thenomen said...

My dear friend, you are in doubt now whether you have taken a wise choice or not in following a phd program or whatever you followed. I am here to encourage and ensure you that you've made the good choice. Finding answers to questions no one ever asked and such activities are really something to live for.

I hope one day I will also enter a phd program because I feel I must become a part of this crazy research madness. Let's not forget that the number of questions no one ever asked is constantly increasing, thus every second counts. Hang on there, I'll be joining you soon!

claudia said...

my dear dear friend, i have found it very useful in life to learn from other people's mistakes. Perhaps you should learn too, and think it over VERY thoroughly before you enter a phd prog. Have fun though!!