Thursday, January 21

Resolutions

Well, seeing how January is nearly coming to an end, it's time to talk about the status of the new year resolutions that I made. I haven't really talked about them here but here they are in all their magic:


  1. Don't talk to idiots

  2. Grow tomatoes at home - inspired by the awesome taste of tomatoes in New Zealand

  3. Run 10 km every day except one day in the weekend. - to increase my mileage base such that i can achieve a sub-four hour marathon this year!!

  4. Learn how to bake good bread - totally envisioning myself as a bread baker, with Marian using my bread for his breakfast - 4 slices of bread with butter and honey - for the past five years.



What's the status you wonder?

Well, I totally broke point 1. when I talked to Pasha (our fellow traveller) on the first day of the new year. With one down off my list, my heart and soul are lighter now and I can focus on the others. The last point is fairly easy to tackle, and I will just as soon as my birthday passes - the thing is, i plan to host and cook romanian foods for both my climbing friends and my non-climbing friends, and I can't hold them together because the apartment will just not be able to hold so many people. This means I have to cook twice, and thus I am saving my mojo for that.

The same goes for tomatoes, probably will have to do a bit of googling and stuff like that.

And the running? Well, because I re-sprained my ankle on our trip to Mueller Hut, and because Dusky Track (story to come) has left me sooo tired, I am only running 5km a day. So far so good, I am into the second week of doing this - hell, i wish my nike+ sensor was working, i could have clocked a zillion kms! However, it turns out not to be as easy as expected, partly because of my tiredness, partly because of the harder climbing training that i am voluntarily submitting myself to. The result is that I am aching more than I would want to both in my arms and my legs! I will probably give it a month or so and then transition to larger distances. Or it could be that I will just forget about it and pretend it never crossed my mind.

Still looking for a mid-year marathon...

4 comments:

Andreea said...

I also tried something similar to point 2 in your list... or maybe not similar... it's just that tomatoes are involved :) I didn't try to plant tomatoes in Singapore, I just tried to preserve one. And it's so easy. I didn't had to do much thing: bought several, ate all except for the chosen one, put it on my window and wait...wait one week, wait 2 weeks... wait 7 weeks. The result: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/vl_Mc242VQUwfADwJC_v0Q?feat=directlink
Isn't she cute? Now she is in her 8th week (notice the upgrade to "she").
Actually it's a sad story :|... sad because I ate it's siblings ... bleah...

claudia said...

This is just pure xenocide!! And you even dared to keep one of the siblings, all by its tiny little self on the window still!!! Murderer!!!

Mr. Rush said...

I am new to your blog and I like it.

Question (at the risk of sounding like an idiot): How do you go about choosing your running shoes?

claudia said...

Well I did google to see all about what type of foot I have. For me it looks like I am a normal one, with a slight tendency to under-pronate - look at the soles of your walking shoes to see where they are most used - mine are slightly on the outside, especially for the right leg.

Next I look at the padding, because i will be running on asphalt or concrete so I can't really run in those soft ones.

Lastly I look at the comfy-level - my feet are wide (like a duck's) so some tight fitting ones will not do.

I buy them half to 1 size bigger than my walking shoes. And the winner is ....tadam! Nike Pegassus yay!