Thursday, February 25

Travel with the boss

SO. I will be going to MIT with my supervisor. No conference, no papers accepted, no nothing, just a trip. ZOMFG MIT!!! That's where all the smart people are?! How the hell did I get to go there and how the hell will I manage not to embarrass myself? I mean, I can shut my face for like maybe three hours or so, but what about the rest of the time? How does one prevent other people from seeing how stoopid one is?

So we have question number one:

1. How does one prevent other people from seeing how stupid one is?

Great, with that out of the way, here comes question 2:

2. How does one travel with one's boss?

This is a hard one because of the following:

  • What if i fall asleep and my head lolls and my mouth opens and i drool?

  • What if he sits at the aisle and i sit inside and you know i need to pee like a zillion times?!

  • What do I do?! Do i read papers or do I watch a movie? Do I read a book? If yes, what book? Ok granted, we can talk about the nook for a while but then what?

  • Which brings me to the last one: WHAT THE FUCK does one talk with one's supervisor FOR A WHOLE WEEK?!

  • Would this be a good time to ask him about my future?

  • How does one restrain from saying "shit" and "fuck" for more than a day? Shit ...



Google has not helped me at all. Below are a few excerpts from what I have found:


  • On a plane with your boss? Bring reading material that makes it appear like you are always trying to hone your business/advertising/communication skills. Books like "The One Minute Manager" or "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" are good choices - YEAH RIGHT

  • Keep the conversation about your boss. This deflects any unwanted attention or exposure to your personal life. Ask you boss about her inspirations, why she chose the business, her first job out of college, etc - AHAM, good one

  • Be extra prepared. There’s a chance your travel plans will go awry -- a very good chance. Though you can’t prepare for everything that can go wrong, you can have contingency plans for the more likely difficulties. For instance, know the name of a nearby hotel in case yours has been overbooked. Carry an extra battery for your cell phone, laptop or camera (or your boss’s). - RIGHT ON. Getting to it NOW

  • Don’t lose your temper. Emotions cloud rationality and make for an uncomfortable atmosphere. And what boss wants to supervise a person who can’t control his emotions? MY FAVORITE!!!! XCCSDSDW!@!E$@#$@$

  • Showing up on time for a 6am cross-country flight dressed the way you’d be dressed for a day at the office and not looking ready to snooze your way across the country. This is BAD - I have recently acquired a favorite ELMO t-shirt to travel - guess it will have to go under a shirt or something

  • Don’t venture into sensitive subjects. Stay away from topics that might be flammable. Politics, religion, sex and personal hygiene, for instance, can all be career-ending conversation starters. - No shit, Sherlock!

  • Pursuit of the opposite sex while still in business company - Dear god, i hope we don't get into that - it would be worse than seeing him in berms, seriously.



2 comments:

Andreea said...

:)) nice one
'Common... do you really think that YOU are a person that should have a problem like this? :P Should I remember you about those 4-5 meeting hrs you sometime had with your boss, or for the lunch when you always brought something in when there was silence? :P
- "What if i fall asleep and my head lolls and my mouth opens and i drool?" what if it happens to him? :)) (you can make a picture with him) And for your safe you can just drink coffee
- "What if he sits at the aisle and i sit inside and you know i need to pee like a zillion times?!" You can invent an excuse to have the outside sit
- "What do I do?! Do i read papers or do I watch a movie? Do I read a book? If yes, what book? Ok granted, we can talk about the nook for a while but then what?" - useless... you will read a good book. I bet on it ;)
- "Which brings me to the last one: WHAT THE FUCK does one talk with one's supervisor FOR A WHOLE WEEK?!" - this will surely not be a problem, Claudia!
- "Would this be a good time to ask him about my future?" - see... this can be a one week talking subject :P
- "How does one restrain from saying "shit" and "fuck" for more than a day? Shit ..." - you can unload yourself the very minute you are 20 m far from the boss

Cheers :)
Good luck!

claudia said...

haha i am glad to see you have so much trust in me :)) will let you know how it goes