Wednesday, April 7

Climbing in Chiang Mai!

[Photos here].
The trip was lovely and I enjoyed every second of it. I did not do any hard climbs, part because i was there with my non-climbing friends, and part because I was scared shit to try hard routes. I think i would have needed at least a week of climbing for that.

It was endearing to see noobs face the rock walls for the first time in their lives. Oh, the angst and the scare and the "Oh my ggggod I am going to die!" were worth every second of shouting, of "Put your right leg up! Higher, higher! Niice!". And answer questions like "Who makes these big holes in the wall?" [talking about the jugs we kept holding]

One of them (a very big, tall guy), got a short-man's beta from me on a route that was too powerful for him. The frustration and the powerlessness got his body (and i really mean his body) to yell one big "FUCK YOU!" at me when I told him not to be defeated when he was sighing non-stop. And i do say his body, because obviously his mind would not take that risk. Not while on belay that is ...

I was proud as a first-time hen seeing her chicks pluck dirt for the first time, especially when one of them was so obviously talented on the rock. Not like yours truly, who four/five years ago really resembled the big awkward guy. Just goes to show that Neverquits actually works.

I still have to learn a lot, especially on listening to whines and complaints, which is something that I really suck at. And to be more patient when people say that they climb because I make them climb - it's a joke but not when we are talking about something so precious (at least to me). I should take a few seconds to realize that it's a joke and not say the first mean thing that comes to my mind. And to be able to put on my ballz suit from the first days at the rock wall, because sometimes (like now), you won't get more than a few days.
And also I have to learn to let young friendships die. If they are not meant to live, they are not meant to live and nothing I can do will ever bring them back alive. Furthermore, if somebody tells you that your significant other is an angel by comparison [with you] ... all they deserve from you is indeed a very big FUCK OFF.

Lo and behold, the pictures!
Day 1: We were so LOUD on the bus that some of the other people took out their mp3 players! Conversations ranged from digestive system, to boobs, and i think we touched on the subject of death as well. We climbed few routes, I got the big, loud "FUCK YOU!", had a nice lunch, left the girls to rest at the wooden houses, and came back for more! The last route of the day was a very long 6a (30m) that really had an amazing view. We were still loud on the way home, but not quite as loud.

Going towards "The Furnace":


Scared before the climb:


One of the few decent photos of me:


Short-man's beta is not easy!


After the incident (all of us are camera whores, so nothing like a camera pointed at you to make you smile and forget about the "FUCK YOU!"):


Dying going up to our last routes:


The view from the top:


A. doing the "beached whale":


Marian leading again:


Climbing with this is hardd!


Shacked:


Day 2: Shacked when waking up, silent but still talking on the bus. Climbed mostly at Crazy Horse Buttress, which is the main climbing site. Climbed between 7-9 routes, did a 6c (top rope, no ballz). Climbed with an australian that picked us up as partners (he was alone). Marian led a lot of routes and took care of the noobs while I was with the aussie. I ate like it was the end of the world for lunch. We were absolutely SILENT on the bus home. Not a fantastic day because we were in the sun in the morning and it sapped us of all we had.


My fierce impersonation is getting better day by day!


The sun drenched every last bit of energy from us:


Marian is the last one to keep his shirt on:


Totally shacked but still going at it:



Day 3: And then there were 3. We started as 6 in the first day, but by the last day only 3 of us were left. Climbed in a cave at the AirCon wall - so-called because if you sit in front of the cave, cool bursts of wind will come down to cool you (it was hot and very dry outside). The routes were overhanged, which led A. (then one that did a beached whale) to literally french kiss his biceps. And then we went to do a chimney climb, which to my shame i could not lead (no ballz) and I had to set up using a route on its right. Marian led two other routes (so proud, he's leading again!) and then we were done and that was it.

Inside the cave:


Descending into nothing:


Using one's face to climb:

2 comments:

regina said...

aaaahhh i miss chiang mai!!

shuhui said...

it's niiiiiiiiiiiiice! haha claud! see how your posts make us feel longing for there!