Wednesday, May 5

When stupidity hurts

As discussed on Friday, I went running barefoot on the track.


Everything would be quite ok with this statement, if not for some minor details. First of all, I went running barefoot at 4 pm.

Second of all, Friday was a very hot day in Singapore. The sun was blazing on the track from 8 am.

What, my dear readers do you think is the result of these two statements?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I shall spare you the excitement of figuring it out: after running only one lap I had developed a tingly painful feeling on the soles of my feet and stopped. Thank god I stopped and i didn't have any weird ambition to finish the 2km I had initially planned.

By the time I got to Climb Asia to climb with Doris, the tingly painful feeling developed into 5 cm in diameter blisters on both my soles. The blisters were 1 cm deep. And painful. VERY PAINFUL to climb on them. Because you see, something i learned maybe in my second year of climbing is, that climbing is a lot about the feet. My eyes would slightly bulge a bit whenever I squeezed my climbing shoes on - not only are they 1 size smaller but my feet were also swollen - and my upper lip would sweat a bit whenever I had to really (and I mean really) step. I also learned very quickly how to land on my heels and do routes that were very hard at the start such that I would not fall from high.

In the end, Friday night found me naked in the bathtub, armed with a pocket knife (not good) and afterwards a needle (works much better) to break the blisters. A lot of liquid oozed out, but I will spare you that picture.

2 comments:

adrian said...

omg why did u do that! it is common for feet to develop blisters from running on hot surfaces lei

claudia said...

Well yeah, I couldn't find any referenced papers about that :)) what can i say, stupidity does hurt :))