Wednesday, June 16

Durian Transportation

On how to transport durians, I am not sure if the internet is full of info. Perhaps because people have not tried it that much, maybe because the thing really REALLY stinks. I do not have pictures because Marian lost them (from now on, he can spare me any discussion about the iphone and he can shove it up his-you-know-what). But here is the story. The plan was for me to try to transport one (or two) such that we get prior beta in case somebody else would want to (ever) bring me durians. The sad verdict is that it's not possible.

- I bought one of those durians that is in a box, so not the thorny fruit because it would have been very big.

- I wrapped it in cling wrap for about 10 times around. I had a picture of this but Marian lost it. Fuck the iphone.

- Then I wrapped it in aluminum foil.

- After which i wrapped it again in cling wrap. By now the parcel was pretty big.

- then we put it in a plastic bag (a ziploc bag with some coffee beans would have been better)

- and then we wrapped it in a T-shirt and put the whole thing in the bag. In Marian's bag of course.

The bad part about this was that the clothes around the parcel should have been packed in plastic bags because they were stinking when we got home.

We took the thing out of the bag and left it out (not in the fridge for two hours or so). The entire trip took: 12 hours to frankfurt; 6 hours in transit; 3:30 hours to bucharest. By the time Marian's friends tried it, the durian was a bit spoilt (not much) but on its way. It stank its normal self and his friends hated it. No big news there, but I do not think it is really transportable. Ah well ... this only means that my trips to singapore will be much MUCH more frequent.

2 comments:

dor said...

eeks!so much for a stinky fruit becoming much more stinky huh :/ now we will need to transport a fresh unopened thorny durian over!!!

claudia said...

yup, I guess so :)