Thursday, January 6

Resolution Day

I must admit that my initial intention was really to blog about the Annapurna circuit trek, with which I am still two reports short, but, inspired by one of my friends' latest decision, I decried to talk about resolutions. New year's resolutions at that, since, after a tiring new year's night, I am finally coming to terms with the fact that the new year is indeed, coming. And of course, with this realization comes my need to plan and list the stuff that must be done this year. Like get married, graduate, loose [some of] the butt and so on and so forth. A bit more thinking and the list changes. As I am slowly and surely approaching 30 - zomg I still think like an 18 year old, I realize that some things about me need to be changed. So I am replacing the usual new year's list with the one below.

  • Give people second chances - I always decide in the first 20 seconds of meeting somebody whether I like them or not. Regardless of the answer, this changes only very very rarely. If I decide that I don't like somebody, I almost instantly raise my guard, and it shows. Similarly, I am very quick to dismiss former friends that have wronged me. And once I see one wrong, the rest are soon to follow - because let's be honest, if one opens her eyes big enough, one is sure to find we all suck.

  • Do not checklist my life - I do not do this, but I know that A LOT of people do, especially here in Singapore, and I guess in many other worlds: car [check], wife[check], kids [check], house, possessions, money... I know a lot of people need this for self assurance, and for evaluating their lives, and I hope I never fall in this trap.

  • Live everyday by itself - I lived last year between four important milestones: new Zealand, going home, submitting thesis, and going Nepal.  Secondary milestones were going chiang mai, the kl trip, and the kinabalu trip. I lived between these milestones only by looking forward and thinking about the next. This was wrong. And other than the four things, I dun remember much about last year - did I get my ears pierced then? I want to have my life made up of days, and each individual day with it's own stories and life. Not only will i definitely live longer, but i think i will feel more fulfilled. For example, today is obviously Resolution Day, whereas yesterday was work-till-u-drop day- should have as little of these as possible too!

1 comment:

RCA Ieftin said...

:) good post! happy new year!