Monday, March 28

Why I hate movies

... and i love books.

Yesterday Marian decided to take me to the movies. We went to see "The Adjustment Bureau" which turned out to be exactly the kind of movie that I like. No, not the romantic, lovey wovey movie kind, but the kind that has a happy ending, and in which, more importantly, nothing eternally bad happens to the characters you like. That is, even if something bad happens to them, they eventually jump back up and finish the movie on a happy tone.

I have realized that the reason I do not like movies or going to the movies is because it is not usually the case that the characters i like end up still being ok and in one piece by the end of the movie. And the thing is, life is full of crap anyway, so why go to a movie where you get even more crap?

Which is not to say that I only read happy books, but with a book, whenever something wrong is going to happen to somebody I like, I just put the book down, take a breather, don't think about it for a few days, and then come back, get a little dose of the unhappiness and continue this way until the book is over.

But going to the movies or watching movies with Marian I cannot do the same thing, which basically means that I have to have somebody swear on their lives that nothing extremely bad is going to happen in the movie before I agree to see it.

And of course, Marian sometimes lies, which is why sometimes in the middle of the cinema you can hear me say: "you promised nothing bad happens!", "YOU PROMISED!".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a difference between not telling you how it ends and lying :p

RME said...

In the same spirit I would add that, if the book is good, you can make it last longer by reading it slow. :P

claudia said...

@RME: EXACTLY!!!
@Anonymous: as far as i remember, marian said that it might end badly :D