Friday, July 15

First tango in Adelaide

Well, on Wednesday I did something totally not me. I cant remember if i mentioned It here or not, but i only dance when i am slightly drunk, and even then, i have the grace and rhythm of an elephant. On drugs. And i am insulting the pachyderms when I compare them with the way I dance, because there's nothing, but NOTHING worse in this life that somebody could do than watch me dance. And no, our wedding does not count because the dress was long so I could do anything underneath. So on Wednesday I decided to live a little and I went for my first ever tango lesson.

It was one of the worst and one of the greatest experiences of my life. It was horrible because the people in the beginner class were not beginners at all! Motherfuckers! They were the type A personality that does the beginner classes all over again until they are ready to waltz forward ocho into the intermediate class without a hitch. Pffft. And to top it off I had missed the first lesson because I was in Singapore.

I arrived there to find that I needed special shoes to dance such that my feet slide on the floor. I smirked at this but then a kind lady let me borrow a pair of hers. She had more than one with her. I laughed in my mind, but in the end I was glad I had them cause u really have to slide. I danced with two older gentlemen, who were both from the intermediate class but had come earlier to check out the freshies (I have seen this behavior in the climbing gym males so that's how I know). One of them was very kind and did not mind at all when I did imperfect stuff. The other was extremely anal and insisted we repeat stuff until i did it right (and he kept telling me with a stern face "you're doing it wrong." fucker. I hated him and his knitted vest.

It was a very interesting experience because as a female u're expected to FOLLOW THE MALE. And, as opposed to other dances, the male is IMPROVISING and only giving you subtle hints. And thus I know know why the lady in a tango dance is always SO ATTENTIVE of the male. I did not learn much in that first lesson, but there are six left, and hopefully when Marian comes here we can both join. I won't care then if he steps on my toes (apparently it's the lady's fault) and I will trust him enough to LEAN FORWARD, SLIDE BACK!!!

No comments: