Friday, September 30

The Grampians!

I had tons of fun in the Grampians, although I really did not climb that hard. My main point for this trip was a) to investigate the grampians as a possible bouldering, climbing, trekking venue, and b) to ensure that my finger was recovered.



The first point was somewhat successful in that I investigated only the bouldering scene. And boulders are aplenty, from V0s to V9 plenty for everybody to mix and match. The rock is a unforgiving sandstone, with slopers and crimps aplenty.





By the end of the trip I had to tape nearly all my finger tips because they were almost seeping blood. The second point was even more successful. My finger is almost 90% recovered. I do not trust it completely and my left had biceps is about 2cm smaller than my right hand biceps but it did not hurt while I climbed, and that is all that mattered. The hardest that I did was a V4, but I almost succeeded on a V5, on a V6, and on a V7, so there is hope. The guidebook that I had not only had the pictures of the boulders but also their description, a star-based rating, and the lines on the boulder drawn. This is a two-star V3.




The Adelaide boulderers are a close-knit team and I felt very luck that they let me tag along.

I felt extremely safe with them (landing areas also are much cleaner than in Font, I felt) and I never once thought about going too high or topping out, or not committing fully. This is rare for me, as I am always the wuss.



There were beautiful routes for every preference. Dynos:

Overhangs:

Slopey - crimpy

And the camp always had visitors.


All in all, I am definitely going back there again, for sure when dodo comes this year, and next year with san, hint hint wink wink. The full set of phootos is here.

No comments: